HAVOCMAMA

TRISTAN















FACEBOOKINSTAGRAM
#10 Cooking Mama (baked rice)
Sunday 24 February 2013



That's right bitches, I helped made baked rice for dinner the other day. I decided that since I'll have to cook for myself and my apartment mates when I go on exchange, why not experiment and practise on my family in Singapore first, ha-ha! Now, I'm not the best of cooks. I'm better at baking to be honest. And for the longest time, people have been giving me grief about making mashed potatoes with dark soy sauce (IT'S NICE OKAY, IT JUST LOOKS BAD). But this dish is pretty idiot proof and it turned out to be quite nice if I do say so myself :)


The ingredients that you'll need are very straightforward. Basically, it depends on what kind of baked rice you feel like making or what kind of produce you have lying around at home. I happened to have some chicken breasts and thighs, prawns, crab stick and broccoli (which was supposed to be for lunch, but I ate something else instead). I'd say the main ingredients are your rice (I used a mixture of brown and white rice), some sort of cream based soup, cheese, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.


What you want to do first is to prepare your ingredients. So for me, I shelled the prawns, removed the skin and visible fats from the chicken meat, boiled everything (including the broccoli and crab sticks) and set them aside. After that, I stir fried the cooked rice with garlic, olive oil and cream of mushroom soup. The amount of soup used depends on how creamy you want the rice to be and how much rice you're actually using. Salt and pepper to taste. Once that is all done, get your aluminium trays and assemble everything. One layer of the rice, throw in all your ingredients, another layer of rice and finally a layer of cheese. Pop it into the oven for about 15-20mins, or until the cheese bubbles and you're done!

See, simple! I'll definitely be trying out different recipes over the next couple of months, all simple dishes of course. Till then, stay tune for more cooking mama entries, ha-ha! Got to go help out for my brother's steamboat dinner tonight :D It's his birthday and the in-laws are coming over to celebrate as well.

XOXO, T.

Labels: , ,


written at 16:49